Here’s everything you need to know about homemade masks preparation :
- We recommend using a 3 layer home-made mask
- Outer layer- Water resistant fabric e.g. Laminated cotton, nylon, polyester, microfiber
- Inner layer- cotton
- 3rd layer- Pouch with a disposable microfibre filter
WHAT MATERIAL CAN I USE AS A FILTER?
- Hospital microfibre air filter (not readily available, expensive, stocks difficult to find)
- Items available at the supermarket i.e. Sanitary pad or diaper (readily available, affordable, stocks are in plenty)
3 layer olson mask, by Unitypoint Health://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVk12sFRkY
HOW TO TAKE OFF THE MASK
Taking off mask wrongly or touching your face may lead to infection. Spend the time to get in-person training or at least watch a video on how to put on (“don”) and take off (“doff”)
Wash your hands well before you touch the PPE involving your face.
When taking off your mask, handle the straps behind your ears and never touch the front of the mask.
HOW DO I REUSE THE MASK
After carefully taking off, dispose the filter . Soak reusable mask in 0.5% bleaching solution for at least 30mins.
Follow by washing with clean water & detergent ** You may additionally boil in water for 10-20mins – Addition of 0.3% washing soda enhances boiling**
Always inspect the mask for any tears and damage. Discard if damaged.
Insert new filter and reuse if no damage.